ISSUE NOT OPEN (was Re: MISC: Internet Media Type registration: proposed TAG finding)

All - the chairs have NOT opened this issue and the discussion
threatens to get into whole sets of arguments that have been raised
on rdf-logic and should not be recapitulated here.  Let's please hold
off on this issue until it is OPENed as per the process for
discussion we've agreed to.
  -Jim H

At 11:50 PM -0400 5/22/02, Dan Brickley wrote:
>On 22 May 2002, Dan Connolly wrote:
>
>>  >  I ask
>>  > that the WebOnt WG discuss whether to send a polite note back rejecting
>>  > this interpretation of our work.
>>
>>  I don't think we should.
>
>FWIW, Peter's dissatisfaction with my note (which wasn't addressed here)
>is noted.
>
>I continue to regard the WebOnt language (and the RDF 1.0 syntax, and it's
>MT, and RDFS) as a component of the wider Resource Description Framework,
>but don't propose we take time up discussing labels here.
>(<onlyhalfjoking>We used to call this effort the Platform for Internet
>Content Selection; maybe we could go back to that name if folks really
>don't like the RDF TLA?</onlyhalfjoking>)
>
>[...]
>
>>  A consumer of the above document either or does or doesn't grok
>>  DAML+OIL semantics; it can come to more of the relevant conclusions
>>  if it applies DAML+OIL axioms, but since everything is monotonic,
>>  there's no harm done if it doesn't apply those axioms.
>>
>>  This is the principle of partial understanding in action.
>>  I have tried to make this point in the past...
>>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Mar/0339.html
>>  but I'm not having much luck.
>
>How about we try to think about this issue in forward-looking rather than
>backward-looking terms?
>
>Given RDFS and WebOnt, we're looking at partial understanding in terms of
>RDFS-aware tools dealing with with WebOnt-enriched RDF Schemas (er,
>Ontologies). So how about we forget the past and look to the future?
>
>Imagine you're in the WebOnt v3.0 WG, looking back on the products of this
>group, balancing v3.0's backward compatibility with present-day
>requirements and opportunities. Presumably WebOnt v1.0 isn't the one true
>ontology language to end them all? We might expect a version 1.1 or 2.0 at
>least. Or perhaps people will take to describing their RDF Schemas and Web
>Ontology vocabularies using one of the various RDF-oriented rule
>languages. Maybe W3C will even do a REC-track spec or two for such a rule
>language. And what about datatyping? The XML Schema WG is still active,
>and might well produce refinements of the XML Schema datatyping system,
>which will at some point manifest itself in the RDF and Web Ontology
>world. The future looks busy.
>
>Partial understanding in action: people will write tools to work with the
>WebOnt 1.0 language, just as they're writing tools to work with RDF Schema
>vocabulary descriptions now. We need to think about how these new WebOnt
>tools will, or won't, be suprised by documents that draw on features
>defined in specs subsequent to WebOnt 1.0. Is a WebOnt ontology that draws
>upon some additional (webont v2, rdf-rules-1.0?) namespace still really a
>WebOnt doc? Is it an RDF Schema for that matter? (re the latter, yes, imho).
>

>At the instance data level, all this shouldn't matter. (Thankfully, for
>the poor end users...)

> [...]

AV Williams Building, Univ of Maryland		  College Park, MD 20742
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler