RE: SEM: semantics for current proposal (why R disjoint V?)

From: Ian Horrocks <horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 12:34:58 +0000
To: "Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: "Libby Miller" <Libby.Miller@bristol.ac.uk>, "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>, "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>, "webont" <www-webont-wg@w3.org>
On March 22, Jeremy Carroll writes:

> > [1]
> http://www-lti.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~clu/papers/archive/lutzdiss.pdf
>

> Ian,
>
> I don't think I have time to read 225 pages ... :(
>
> Is there a shorter version of the central argument?

The key point is that without separation of properties, when you
negate restriction classes, e.g., (hasClass age >=21) you get (toClass
age (union <21 Thing)), which breaks the separation of the datatype
and abstract domains which is itself required in order to allow
datatype reasoning to be separated from class based reasoning.

Ian