Re: LANG: collect idiom for inclusion in the language

From: Frank van Harmelen <Frank.van.Harmelen@cs.vu.nl>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 22:20:59 +0100
To: Webont <www-webont-wg@w3.org>
[I sent this to the mailing list earlier, but it never made it.
  Sorry if you get this twice].

Raphael Volz wrote:

 > The Harmelen/Horrocks doc
 > (http://www.cs.vu.nl/~frankh/spool/OWL-first-sketch.html) states that
 > * collect idiom for inclusion in the language
 >       This should be based on
 >           o experience with DAML+OIL
 >           o our use-cases
 >           o experience with earlier ontology/KR-languages
 >
 > is a next step. We elaborated this issue in our submission to
 > the Semantic Web workshop to WWW11:
 > http://www.aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de/WBS/rvo/modular.pdf

Raphael,

I'm somewhat confused by this. I looked at your paper. It's interesting stuff,
but if I understand it correctly, it's main concern is with modularity, and
corresponding issues like naming, referring, importing, etc. As such, I don't
see how this contributes to frame-based idiom for OWL.

Your paper seems more relevant to the other "next step to take" from our first
sketch:

 > deal with other requirements/objectives
 >      The above focusses mostly on the ontological expressiveness of the
language,
 >      and not really at requirements like tagging, importing ontologies, etc.

Can you correct me if I'm wrong?

Frank.
    ----