LANG: Strawman syntax was RE: parseType="daml:list" doesn't cut it

Smith, Michael K wrote:

Toward your motion I would like to put up a strawman RDF extension syntax
(RDFxt) for discussion:

This syntax has been developed first as an abstract syntax, the surface XML
syntax is derived from a compact XML representation of s-expressions:

http://www.openhealth.org/RDF/RDFxtAbstractSyntax

At the end are two appendices, the first describing conversion of N3 into
RDFxt. The second some notes on representing RDFxt in base RDF i.e. as
triples.

I am putting this out before it is complete, notably I have not yet
finalized a formal grammar for the surface XML syntax.

Jonathan

> MOTION: The primary syntax for OWL will be defined in XML.
>
> WHY:
>
> 1. We want to lower any potential barriers to adoption of OWL.  XML is
> vastly ahead of triples or N3 in terms of acceptance by the larger web
> community, especially the developer community.
>
> 2. Our charter states: "The language will use the XML syntax and datatypes
> wherever possible, and will be designed for maximum compatibility with XML
> and RDF language conventions."  I take the first clause ("will use the XML
> syntax wherever possible") as primary.
>
> 3. It is clear from reading the DAML+OIL documents that XML was deemed an
> appropriate presentation syntax by at least part of this community.
> DAML+OIL is supposed to be our starting point.
>
> 4. I am assuming that we intend that OWL assertions can be inserted into
XML