Re: Issue 3.4 - daml:UnambiguousProperty (fwd)

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 09:37:08 -0400
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>, danbri@w3.org
Cc: www-webont-wg@w3.org

At 8:32 AM -0400 6/6/02, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
>Subject: Re: Issue 3.4 - daml:UnambiguousProperty (fwd)
>Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 08:02:13 -0400 (EDT)
>>  Re motivating daml:UnambiguousProperty, here are some public but offlist
>>  notes I made a little while ago, and which Libby just mentioned.
>>  Dan

Peter - have you read our requirements document?  I believe Dan is
referring to versioning issues here --  a good example - one of Dan's
projects, foaf, has an unambiguous property of mailing address, but
unfortunately, mine is set in his instance base as
"mailto:jhendler@darpa.mil"  - without some versioning, he cannot
simply assert my new mailto (the darpa one no longer works) without a
reasoner being entitled to say "that is an error, this is an
unambiguous property" --  I don't think Dan is asking for any sort of
complex temporal reasoning (which I would immediately and happily
rule out of scope) - but rather pointing out that we must consider
change in our instance base when we work out our solution to
  The versioning issue is not open at the moment, so I won't go on
  -Jim H.