Re: update to the compliance document

From: Mike Dean <mdean@bbn.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 18:50:35 -0400
To: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
cc: Frank van Harmelen <Frank.van.Harmelen@cs.vu.nl>, Enrico Motta <e.motta@open.ac.uk>, Deborah McGuinness <dlm@ksl.stanford.edu>, Webont <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

> Frank - not sure if this is true in a multi-ontology setting
>
> jim:foo owl:sameClassAs frank:bar.
>
> can be used in cases where the only way to create the cycle would be
> for me to call you up and ask you to put a pointer to my subclass in
> your document.

You're currently free to say

  jim:foo owl:subClassOf frank:bar .
  frank:bar owl:subClassOf jim:foo .

in your document (although some may consider the latter bad
style).  This relates to [1].

> So I think some of these things (the "equivalentTo
> family") are important for the cross ontology requirement as well as
> within ontologies.

I agree that these idioms are important even if not
logically required.

	Mike

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/webont-issues.html#2.3-Adding-Properties-to-Other-Classes