Re: update to the compliance document

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 18:39:29 -0400
To: Frank van Harmelen <Frank.van.Harmelen@cs.vu.nl>, Enrico Motta <e.motta@open.ac.uk>
Cc: Deborah McGuinness <dlm@ksl.stanford.edu>, Webont <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

At 12:29 AM +0200 6/6/02, Frank van Harmelen wrote:
>Enrico Motta wrote:
>>
>>  Deborah,
>>
>>  Just one minor comment.  The document does not explicitly say whether
>>  subclassOf hierarchies can have cycles (like daml+oil) or not (like
>>  rdfs).  Because subclassOf properties are listed under Rdfs features,
>>  one would think that no cycles are allowed, while the presence of
>>  sameClassAs in the language leads one to think that cycles are OK.
>
>Even RDFS now allows cycles in the class hierarchy.
>We might point out in our own document that as a result,
>sameClassAs is simply syntactic sugar (but: useful syntactic sugar)
>for something that could already be done without it (even in RDF Schema).
>
>Frank.
    ----

Frank - not sure if this is true in a multi-ontology setting

jim:foo owl:sameClassAs frank:bar.

can be used in cases where the only way to create the cycle would be
for me to call you up and ask you to put a pointer to my subclass in
your document.  So I think some of these things (the "equivalentTo
family") are important for the cross ontology requirement as well as
within ontologies.
  -JH

http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler