Re: new issue? should OWL provide synonyms for RDF and RDFS objects

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Subject: Re: new issue? should OWL provide synonyms for RDF and RDFS objects
Date: 18 Jul 2002 13:53:18 -0500

> On Thu, 2002-07-18 at 13:40, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> >
> > TITLE:		should OWL provide synonyms for RDF and RDFS objects
> > 		statements that provide daml: synonyms for 12 resources
> > 		that are part of RDF or RDFS.  This is probably a bad idea
> > 		that should not be repeated in OWL as it can lead to
> > 		confusion as to what comes from where, particularly as not
> > 		all RDF and RDFS built-in resources are so treated, and at
> > 		least one ``local name'', Class, is used in both RDFS and
> > 		OWL.
> > RAISED BY:	Peter F. Patel-Schneider
> > REFERENCE:	http://www.daml.org/2002/06/webont/owl.html
>
> thanks, Peter.
>
> I suggest this discharges my action.
> "ACTION DanC to raise an issue wrt rdfs:subclassof and owl:subclassoff"
> 	-- http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/ftf3.html

Agreed. subClassOf is one of the synonymed `local names'.

> I suggest it subsumes the suggestion from Mike Dean about
>   TITLE:  owl:Class still needed
> of 17 Jul 2002 20:08:13 -0400

Class is not one of the synonymed(?) `local names', so I think that Mike's
proposed issue is somewhat different.  He is asking whether both owl:Class
and rdfs:Class are needed.  I am asking whether owl:subClassOf should be a
built-in OWL name that is ``the same as'' rdfs:subClassOf.