RE: confusion about the WG issue process

Just an add-on, because an important question that Peter asked has not been
clearly addressed as I see: the
> >Is it OK for an appointed editor to produce documents that assume
> >particular resolutions of non-closed issues?  Is it OK for an
> >appointed editor to produce document that assume particular
> >resolutions of non-closed, non-open issues?
Now, this can of course vary from group to group (chair rules...), but the
common W3C's practicse is that an editors can't resolve issues. It is in
fact common that while writing up, the editor realises there are new issues,
or related things. In this case, s/he ought to report to the wg; possibly,
some patch-in text can be added, but clearly marked as temporary, and with
the pointer to the appropriate problems. So in summary: the editor has a
very limited "freedom", other than in the, well, "editorial" realm
(structuring, presentation, etc). Of course, one can write a version of the
spec with her/his ideas on the resolution (like anybody else in the wg), but
such a version has then a proposal status, and is not to be considered an
internal working draft of the wg.

Hope this helps,
-M