Re: defaults

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 13:30:40 -0500
To: hendler@cs.umd.edu
Cc: www-webont-wg@w3.org
From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Subject: Re: defaults
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 12:20:27 -0500

[...]

> Peter - this is because you're thinking as a logician, not a
> programmer.

Well if I was thinking like a programmer, I would be even more dissatisfied
with ``randomly chooses one of the frames to inherit the slot from''.

[...]

> The IDO
> inheritance, which you refer to above, has no tie breaking rule - so
> in the VERY unlikely case of a perfect tie by that heuristic, we
> would flip a coin.

Hmm, very unlikely?  Not by my metrics.  My understanding is that

        Student => Person
        Employee => Person
	Student - employmentCategory -> notWorking
	Employee - employmentCategory -> working
	John -> Student
	John -> Employee

is a perfect tie by that heuristic, as is the Nixon diamond.

[...]