W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-webont-wg@w3.org > January 2002

ADMIN: Agenda/Logistics -- 1/24 Telecon

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 23:22:55 -0500
Message-Id: <p0510100db873e9996fe8@[192.168.0.101]>
To: webont <www-webont-wg@w3.org>
Remember the good old days when we used to have weekly telecons? 
They're back!!
  -Jim H.


WEB ONTOLOGY WORKING GROUP
AGENDA/LOGISTICS
Jan 24, 2001

1200 US East Coast
0900 US West Coast
1700 London

Duration: 60-90 minutes

PHONE INFORMATION

To use Zakim:
Dial +1.617.761.6200
At the "enter your passcode followed by the pound key" message,
enter 9326#.


CHAT INFO
Simultaneous IRC Chat
irc:irc.openproject.net
#webont


SCRIBE NEEDED - please volunteer to Jim H.

1) Administrivia  (10 min, includes telecon greets and attendance)

2) Action item status check/review (50 min)
   Action items are listed below with annotations.
   This time will mostly be devoted to discussion of the documents 
under preparation.

3) Defaults discussion (20 min)
  This is not intended as an open forum for the defaults discussion, 
but rather to request proposals for how we might move forward to 
reach consensus on this issue.


(Note: JimH may have to leave telecon at 1PM, if so, we will ask 
someone else to chair last section)

==============================



Action summary from F2F 

--- PRESENTATIONS:

ALL PRESENTERS - Please arrange with Dan C for archiving of your presentations:
  Ian H., Guus S., Leo O., Stefan D., Jeff H., Peter P-S, Mike D.

--- LANGUAGE ISSUES:

ACTION Stein: explain "many systems, including frame and oo systems 
in which metaclasses are used in this way" (18:20Z)
  [Note: Lynn made this statement in response to a question Ian raised 
with respect to Guus' statement that his use cases seem to require 
"classes as instances of classes."  It was felt that a description of 
this issue would be of use, and Lynn took the action to write 
something (short) up]

ACTION jeffh: to bring implications of this use of subClassOf to attn 
of RDF Core WG 
  [Note: Jeff had a particularly good example of where the RDF Core 
group's suggested mechanism for new versions caused semantic 
problems.  It was suggested that he bring this example to attention 
of RDF Core WG - mechanism to do so left to Jeff]

ACTION: JimH to state summary of decidability issue
ACTION: Ian/Frank to come up w/an adjective to modify "reasoner
[note: Consensus was reached that computational efficiency in 
general, and decidability in specific, are goals of OWL, but not 
requirements in the strong sense.    Consensus was also reached that 
the efficiency  of <adjective to be determined> reasoners over OWL 
knowledge is an important design goal, but not the sole method that 
might be used - the final document should make clear any language 
features which do "break"  the efficiency of these reasoners or any 
complex features put in to faciltitate such reasoning. 
Frank and Ian determined this adjective - but did not inform the group.
Jim H. took an action to write this up better than stated in this note.]


--- IP ISSUE:

ACTION pfps: determine status of IP on this issue
  [Note: Peter PS and Deb McG have a patent relating (at least) to 
procedural attachment.   We have asked them to prepare a statement 
with respect to what they believe is Lucent's IP in this area.   Upon 
completion of this JimH and DanC will have an ACTION to make sure  it 
is appropriately addressed as per W3C policy and needs of this WG]

--- DOCUMENTS:

ACTION Heflin, Jonathan D., Rafael V.: to draft a requirements 
document by end of jan.

ACTION danc Ian and mike Dean: will work on a document which 
evaluates how well daml+oil meets the owl requirements as identified 
at this f2f meeting
[note: Need a deadline for this]

ACTION PeterPS, Dieter, Mike Smith: write up layering issues (21:08Z)
[note: Need a deadline for this]

--- FOLLOW ON:

ACTION JimH: send ftf schedule proposal

ACTION: JimH: prepare summary of Actions with notes to explain where needed.

--- RESOLUTION:

RESOLVED: We will call our Web Ontology Language "OWL" (acronym to be 
decided later)
  [resolution made on earlier telecon - restated at f2f]






-- 
Professor James Hendler				  hendler@cs.umd.edu
Director, Semantic Web and Agent Technologies	  301-405-2696
Maryland Information and Network Dynamics Lab.	  301-405-6707 (Fax)
AV Williams Building, Univ of Maryland		  College Park, MD 20742
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler
Received on Tuesday, 22 January 2002 23:23:02 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:57:47 GMT