Re: defaults

From: Lynn Andrea Stein <lynn.stein@olin.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 16:23:47 -0500
To: Frank van Harmelen <Frank.van.Harmelen@cs.vu.nl>
CC: www-webont-wg@w3.org
I believe that we will have a difficult if not impossible time in
producing a "reasonable" default mechanism.

I also believe that systems on the Semantic Web will need to be able to
make non-provable (default) leaps.

I respectfully suggest that the answer will be in allowing these systems
to make signed (as in digital signature) assertions corresponding to
these defaults.

If this disturbs you -- e.g., if you worry about what happens when one
of these systems withdraws a signed assertion because it has found a
reason to doubt its default -- then I think that you have just
understood one of the fundamental issues of "doing logic on the web".

Lynn