Re: Why do we need reasoning services?

From: <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 19:51:02 +0100
To: dlm@ksl.stanford.edu
Cc: horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk, www-webont-wg@w3.org
[forgot to say that I also fully support the need for reasoning services]

[...]

> 2 - another reason to support reasoning services is so that an application
> can not only make a conclusion but also so that the application can defend
> or justify the conclusion.
> I have been spending time lately with analysts trying to understand how we
> can make systems more useful to them and their consistent number one
> criterian is understanding the results of a system, thus understanding
> when they can truly trust the system to come to the same conclusion they
> would.
> When an underlying system has well defined semantics, the foundation for
> providing justifications to the implicit facts (not just the explict
> facts) is available.

I think that you couln't be more right!
I'm feeling in a meta-stable position
w.r.t. to explainability as from the one side
belonging to the proof layer and from the other
side being quite straightforward to do (now)

--
Jos