Re: antifoundation, flat, wellfounded

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 08:48:53 -0500
To: jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Cc: www-webont-wg@w3.org
[Good motivation from Jeremy snipped.]

It would probably be possible to build a well-founded version of KR classes
(not to be confused with set theory classes).  This would however, as
Jeremy implies, require significant changes to RDFS.  First neither
rdfs:Class nor rdfs:Resource could include themselves.  Second, it appears
to me that RDFS would have to include a much more complex theory of KR
classes.  This is thus not something that the Web Ontology working group
could undertake.  Further, I don't think that it fits within the charter of
the RDF Core WG, although the RDF Core WG charter might be bent to
accommodate it.