Re: REQDOC: New Draft

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 10:52:54 -0500
To: Ian Horrocks <horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk>, www-webont-wg@w3.org, Jeff Heflin <heflin@cse.lehigh.edu>
>Moreover, the ontology language
>itself provides no mechanism for adding annotations - we are relying
>on RDF (or some similar mechanism) for that.

  That is a possible decision for this group to take, but we are
certainly able to decide to have language features relating to
instances if we wish - and the charter doesn't rule that out. For
example, the group could descide that
"owl:sameInstance" is something we wanted to add, and that would
certainly be within scope.

>13. Section 5, "Definitional constraints on conjunctive types". It
>seems strange to have this as an objective as it is just a special
>case of the requirement for being able to state class
>equivalence/subsumption relationships.

again, seems to me Ian is pre-guessing a solution - he may well be
right, but we're not constrained for this to be implemented as a
special case.
AV Williams Building, Univ of Maryland		  College Park, MD 20742
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler