Re: Proposed addition to use-cases document

From: Ora Lassila <daml@lassila.org>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 09:00:15 -0500
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org

Ned Smith wrote:
>I'd like to propose adding a couple of lines to section 2.6 in the use-cases
>Proposed addition in brackets [] below.
>The tasks involved in the utilization of services involve discovery,
>contracting, and composition. The contracting of services may involve
>representing information about security, privacy and trust, as well as about
>compensation-related details (the provider of a service may have to be
>compensated for services rendered).
>[In particular, it is a goal that corporate or organizational security
>policies be expressed in application neutral form, thus enabling consistent
>representation across the diversity of enforcement mechanisms (e.g.
>firewalls, filters/scanners, traffic monitors, application-level routers and

I think this is a good idea. Expressing security and privacy policies
is largely a matter of representation, and we have seen plenty of ad
hoc approaches before. It would be a big win if Semantic Web
techniques could address this.

	- Ora

Ora Lassila  mailto:daml@lassila.org  http://www.lassila.org/
Research Fellow, Nokia Research Center