Re: REQDOC: Lynn's secret comments (LONG)

From: Jos De_Roo <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 23:14:17 +0100
To: "Jim Hendler <hendler" <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Cc: "las" <las@olin.edu>, "Guus Schreiber <schreiber" <schreiber@swi.psy.uva.nl>, "www-webont-wg" <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

>>  > Section 2.2
>>...  Perhaps it could be generalized slightly to include
>>  > audio and other non-text web objects (though the examples could
remain
>>  > specific).  I think that the issues are largely similar.
>>>
>>>  Ontologies can be used to provide semantic annotation ofr collections
of
>>  > images, audio, or other non-textual web objects.  (Rest of para.
same,
>>>  except "...can describe these nontextual objects in different ways..."
>>>  and "...retrieval of nontextual objects without requiring
>>  > domain-specific search tools".)
>
>  I think this is a very good and important change that is an easy
>editing change, let me endorse it -- I am constantly reminding people
>that a lot of the web is not text, and that ontologies are more, not
>less, important for the non-text domains Lynn's addition helps
>emphasize this point.

I love to endorse that too, very much!
as I remember (from TimBL I think)
  Imagine what computers can understand when there is a vast tangle
  of interconnected terms and data that can automatically be followed!
Images contain a lot of meaningful data, but it's only
evidence in combination with other Semantic Web data

--
Jos