Re: REQDOC: Lynn's secret comments (LONG)

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 15:16:58 -0500
To: las@olin.edu, Guus Schreiber <schreiber@swi.psy.uva.nl>
Cc: www-webont-wg@w3.org
At 2:50 PM -0500 2/22/02, Lynn Andrea Stein wrote:
[snip]

>  > Section 2.2
>...  Perhaps it could be generalized slightly to include
>  > audio and other non-text web objects (though the examples could remain
>  > specific).  I think that the issues are largely similar.
>>
>>  Ontologies can be used to provide semantic annotation ofr collections of
>  > images, audio, or other non-textual web objects.  (Rest of para. same,
>>  except "...can describe these nontextual objects in different ways..."
>>  and "...retrieval of nontextual objects without requiring
>  > domain-specific search tools".)

  I think this is a very good and important change that is an easy
editing change, let me endorse it -- I am constantly reminding people
that a lot of the web is not text, and that ontologies are more, not
less, important for the non-text domains Lynn's addition helps
emphasize this point.

AV Williams Building, Univ of Maryland		  College Park, MD 20742
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler