Re: REQDOC: Change List from Editors

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:15:21 -0600
To: Jeff Heflin <heflin@cse.lehigh.edu>
Cc: webont <www-webont-wg@w3.org>
>  > 3/ [Peter P-S] don't understand what
>  >
>>          Note that it is possible for a revision to change the intended
>>          meaning of a term without changing any axioms.
>>      is supposed to mean.  Is OWL supposed to know about the intended
>>      meaning of terms in ontologies?  If so, how?
>No. The statement was meant to say that only humans can know the
>intended meaning of terms.

True, and maybe only some humans can.

>  Therefore, only humans can truly determine
>semantic backward-compatibility of terms,

That does not follow. Backward compatibility can sometimes be
demonstrated even when the intended meanings are unknown. Were it not
so, computing would be impossible.

>  and thus the language needs an
>explicit feature to express this.

The above seems to imply to me that there should NOT be a language
feature to express something that can only be known to humans. At
best it would be a comment field, right?

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax