Re: The Peter paradox isn't.

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 15:40:08 -0600
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc: webont <www-webont-wg@w3.org>
>Here is my reply to Pat's comments that the restriction I presented does
>not indicate a paradox in the same-syntax extension layering of OWL on top
>of RDF.
>

>		The Same-Syntax Extension Paradox
>

>Here is a more-detailed derivation of the paradox that I see when producing
>same-syntax extensions of RDF.
>
>There are two roads to a paradox.  One of these roads uses features that
>are not in DAML+OIL, but exist in some DLs.  The other, longer, more
>complicated road uses only features that are in DAML+OIL.
>
>The basic methodology here is to extract the properties of a same-syntax
>extension building on the new RDF model theory.  This is mostly done by
>determining what entailments (or derivations, if you like) are needed and
>seeing what constraints this places on OWL (or OWL+, a more-powerful
>version of OWL) interpretations.  I've tried to stay as close to the
>terminology in the new RDF model theory as possible.
>
>The summary of all this is that if you want to be a same-syntax extension
>of the RDF model theory and you have
>a) rdf:type as a property;
>b) defined classes, like DAML+OIL restrictions;
>c) some sort of complement or negation; and
>d) self reference
>then you have a semantic paradox.

Before I invest a lot of time in reading through the rest of this,
could you clarify what you mean here by 'self-reference'? I ask
because in any sense of that term that I know of, neither RDF nor
DAML is self-referential, and previous discussion on this thread has
confused self-reference with nonwellfoundedness.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes