Re: URIs for terms: motivation [was: Requirements Document]

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 10:36:39 -0500
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: webont <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

>This really needs to be discussed in more detail and deconstructed.
>Its full of nonsequiteurs and misunderstandings. The fact is that
>the entire concept of URI is completely confused right now, and
>nothing in any documentation put out by the W3C is enough to clarify
>it. We can't just take it as a given, we have to have some
>discussion of what it is supposed to mean. In particular, what is
>"on the Web" ?? If a document has a URL and uses a referring
>expression, is that expression on the web? Is the thing named by the
>expression on the web? What does 'identified distinctly' mean,
>exactly? None of this is clear, and getting it clear is one of the
>most important jobs we could do.

Pat - thanks for the many very valuable contributions you made today
(glad you found the missing mail :->)   On this one, however, I want
to make a "Chair's statement" which is that while I personally agree
with the fact that getting this right is crucial, and hope fervently
that the W3C Technical Architecture Group is working the issue, I
think we can RULE THIS OUT OF SCOPE for our working group - we can
certainly state what version or document, or what assumptions about
URIs we are making, but trying to solve this is well-beyond our
charter and I want to make sure we don't spend too much time going in
this direction...
  -JH

AV Williams Building, Univ of Maryland		  College Park, MD 20742
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler