Proposal to reopen issue 5.3 semantic layering

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 18:59:00 +0100
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org

I assume that the chairs will require this proposal to be seconded before
being considered. Nor would I want it considered if I am alone in my
concerns. So at this stage I am looking for a seconder.

I think the aspect of this issue concerning the syntactic characterization of
OWL DL should be reopened.
The key problems are:
+ the characterization in terms of the abstract syntax is too difficult to
explain in terms of RDF triples
+ the abstract syntax characterizatrion interacts poorly with owl:imports
+ the limitations concerning blank nodes in RDF are insufficiently motivated.
+ the limitations seem to be excessively conservative.
+ the documents other than the abstract syntax (and the test cases) have not
attempted to follow this resolution.

(Issue)
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/webont-issues.html#I5.3-Semantic-Layering
(Consenus e-mail)