Re: WOWG: Documents to review (all members - deadlines included)

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 17:37:26 +0100
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org

On 24 Dec 2002, Jim Hendler wrote:
> WE ARE ASKING TO HAVE ALL REVIEWS DONE BY Jan 2!!

Much too little review time, particularly for those of us blessed with
seasonal holidays.

> Apologies that this falls during the winter (summer in the Southern
> Hemisphere) break, but it is necessary for us to meet our Last Call
> calendar

Conclusion the calendar is too aggressive.

> Only those changed sections will be open for review/discussion at the
> face to face

Unacceptable.

Any aspect of the documents including omissions (which may have no associated
section) should be up for discussion in the f2f before last call.

Also such a restriction permits editors to unilaterally to ignore review
comments; and then the ignored comments are excluded from the agenda?

Given the tightness of the review deadline it seems more appropriate to allow
late comments in a fairly unrestricted fashion.

Since I suspect this is the first time that many of us are reviewing our
documents together as a collection I suspect that there will be cross
document issuettes and unclarities. I find the syntactic restrictions on OWL
Lite and OWL DL to be one of them: the only documents that are clear that a
single triple ( <a> <p> "v" . ) is not OWL Lite are the mapping part of
semantics and Test Cases. This is not listed anywhere as a change from
Daml+Oil, despite it being one that has significant practical impact.

I suspect we need some process for tracking such issuettes.

The process currently being followed will result in many last call issues. A
last call issue is significantly more administrative work than a prelast call
issue. If the WG wishes to have such work then so be it, but I suggest that
it would be better to improve our docs before last call.