SEM: Layering bug

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 11:25:28 +0100
To: <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

Thinking some more I came across the following (potential) mismatch between
OWL DL and OWL Full:

====

OWL Full:

Empty graph

owl-full entails

rdfs:Literal rdfs:subClassOf owl:Thing

====

OWL DL

Empty graph

OWL-DL entails

owl:Thing rdf:type owl:Class .
owl:Thing rdfs:subClassOf _:x .
_:x owl:complementOf rdfs:Literal .

====

Maybe this can be fixed by having:

rdfs:Literal rdf:type owl:Datatype .

in both ....

(or is that already there ...)

[This relates to my previous message about definition of OWL DL in that a
crucial OWL DL entailment in my proposal [1] might be:

<a> <p> "foo" .

OWL DL entails

which seems to be related to the case above.
It also is not an OWL Full entailment.
(The related entailement with
in the conclusions may or not be an OWL full entailment depending on the
defn of owl:DatatypeProperty in OWL Full.
]

Jeremy

[1]

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Dec/0255.html