Re: Guide comments

From: Bernard Horan <Bernard.Horan@Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 11:26:26 +0000
To: "Smith, Michael K" <michael.smith@eds.com>
Cc: dlm@ksl.stanford.edu, volz@fzi.de, welty@us.ibm.com, www-webont-wg@w3.org

Mike

thanks for the amendments, I've got one follow-up question:

Smith, Michael K wrote:
> Bernard,
>
> Thanks for your great comments.  I have incorporated most of them into the
> next draft.  Details below.

<snip/>

>>line 1155, example on the use of ObjectProperty
>>Can the domain and range of an ObjectProperty be modified? For example,
>>is the following valid:
>>
>><owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="madeFromGrape">
>>   <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="#Wine"/>
>>   <rdfs:range rdf:resource="#WineGrape"/>
>>   <rdfs:range rdf:resource="#AntiFreeze"/>
>></owl:ObjectProperty>
>>
>><owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="madeFromGrape">
>>   <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="#Grappa"/>
>></owl:ObjectProperty>
>

> Yes.  Though your example would need to be modified to
>
> <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:about="madeFromGrape">
>    <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="#Grappa"/>
> </owl:ObjectProperty>
>
> And this may not be what you intend?  It says that madeFromGrape is a
> mapping from the INTERSECTION of Wine and Grappa to the INTERSECTION
> of WineGrape and AntiFreeze.

OK, well caught. That *is* what I assumed, however some of my colleagues
have assumed UNION. Perhaps it would be worth adding some text to
clarify? Also, is it possible to 'close' the domain and/or range so that
they cannot be modified subsequently? (In a similar fashion to the
rdf:parseType syntax?)

cheers

Bernard