Re: OWL Lite semantics

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 16:23:10 +0000
To: Ian Horrocks <horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk>
CC: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>, Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, www-webont-wg@w3.org

> Jeremy's proposal is that OWL Lite be both a syntactic and *semantic*
> "subset" (I use the expression loosely in this case) of OWL DL.

Nothing loose there ...
my proposal views a language as a pair:

< A set of documents,
   an entailment relationship over the set >

Then

OWL DL is a sublanguage of OWL full
   in that the set of OWL DL documents is a subset of the set of OWL Full
documents
   the OWL DL entailment relationship is a subset of the OWL Full
entailment relationship (specifically the restriction of OWL Full
entailment to the set of OWL DL documents).

My OWL Lite is a sublanguage of OWL Full
   the set of OWL Lite documents is a subset of the set of OWL Full documents
   the OWL Lite entailment relationship is also a subset of the OWL DL
entailment relationship.