Re: WOWG: location/dates ftf 5&6

I also want to appeal the decision to have the 5th f2f in Manchester.

This is not an objection to my proposed site being rejected for the 5th
f2f, but an objection to the decision to go to Europe for the 5th f2f.

The on-line tally CLEARLY shows a preference of the membership to a US
meeting for the 5th f2f.  The purpose of the ranking system (as decided
here: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Jul/0321.html)
was to prevent the four eastern US proposals from unfairly competing with
each other on the issue of whether to hold the next f2f in Europe or the
eastern US.

In the log of the August 15th call (when everyone is on vacation, nice)
there is one line claiming the vote is "split" between New York and
Manchester.  Manchester received the most positive votes, but also the
most negative, giving it the second lowest overall score.  Who could
possibly interpret it this as a split?   The intention of the weighted
tally vote and results are pretty clear to me.

If the chairs can't interpret a weighted tally, then I propose the vote
should be first to gather consensus from the group as to whether eastern
US or Europe is preferred for the 5th f2f.    This arbitrary decision
described by JimH as "flipping a coin" could have been made with the
consensus of the group.

-Chris

Dr. Christopher A. Welty, Knowledge Structures Group
IBM Watson Research Center, 19 Skyline Dr.
Hawthorne, NY  10532     USA
Voice: +1 914.784.7055,  IBM T/L: 863.7055
Fax: +1 914.784.6078, Email: welty@us.ibm.com

Deborah McGuinness <dlm@KSL.Stanford.EDU>
Sent by: www-webont-wg-request@w3.org
08/22/2002 11:20 AM