Re: early incomplete draft of semantics document

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 13:46:47 -0400
To: phayes@ai.uwf.edu
Cc: www-webont-wg@w3.org

Well, certainly not what I was expecting.

I have two major comments:

1/ This semantics is much closer the the DAML+OIL model theory than to my
   OWL model theory.  In particular, it does not have any of the following
   sorts of entailments
	E1/ John in Student intersect Employee
	    entails
	    John in Employee interset Student
   	E2/ John in atleast 2 friend
	    entails
	    John in atleast 1 friend
   The absence of these entailments has major impact throughout the
   document, particularly in the uncompleted sections.

   The main difference I see between this semantics and the DAML+OIL model
   theory is in its stance with respect to classes as instances.

2/ The document claims (implicitly) that all RDFS graphs are GHOWL graphs
   (in Section 2 just before the syntactic characterization of OWL nodes).
   This is incorrect, as GHOWL graphs must use list vocabulary correctly.

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Bell Labs Research