RE: GUIDE: Dumb question re namespaces.

From: Smith, Michael K <michael.smith@eds.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:04:44 -0500
To: Jonathan Borden <jonathan@openhealth.org>, Jos De_Roo <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>
Cc: "Smith, Michael K" <michael.smith@eds.com>, www-webont-wg@w3.org

I still have one confusion.

The XML Namespace document (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/) states:

 URI references which identify namespaces are considered identical
 when they are exactly the same character-for-character. Note that
 URI references which are not identical in this sense may in fact
 be functionally equivalent.

In general, when I want a prefix like 'xsd' to refer to datatypes
defined by the XML Schema definition, I include something like

But, the RDF and DAML+OIL documents use

According to the opening quote these may be functionally identical, but
they certainly are not identical by default.  So, where is this
equivalence asserted?  Or is it just common knowledge?

- Mike