RE: SEM/GUIDE: subclasses of classes of Properties? (5.3)

From: Smith, Michael K <michael.smith@eds.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 15:24:56 -0500
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Christopher Welty <welty@us.ibm.com>
Cc: www-webont-wg@w3.org

Chris, Dan, Jos

I confess to agreeing with Chris: I find this example confusing.  I am
missing something.

Basicly I didn't understand:

   db:KeyProperty rdfs:subClassOf owl:FunctionalProperty.

First I thought, huh, is this how we say something is a functional
property?  I would have thought

   db:KeyProperty rdfs:subPropertyOf owl:FunctionalProperty.

Since nothing in any of the formalizations of RDF or OWL that I have
seen seems to relate class inclusion to property inclusion.

> I want FunctionalProperty to be usable like any other RDFS Class.

So, now maybe I understand the example better.  The example
illustrates something that Dan wants. A defined relationship between
classes and properties, such that if

 A rdfs:subClassOf B
 B rdf:type rdfs:Property

then whatever property-related restrictions or definitions apply to B,
they are inherited, VIA THE SUBCLASSOF RELATION, by A.  ???  E.g.

 A rdfs:subClassOf B
 B rdf:type rdfs:Property
->
 A rdfs:subPropertyOf B

Is this the point?

As a technical note, I don't understand how Jos's example can work,
since the default namespaces for the hypothesis and conclusion are
different in the two files referenced.  And therefore the
fred#customer references in the two files are to different
resources. Did I miss something?

- Mike