Re: LANG: compliance levels

On April 25, Guus Schreiber writes:
> I strongly support Mike Dean's remarks on local domain/range constraints
> and cardinality. Both are so commonly used in ER and O-O data models
> that it would be very weird if OWL would not support that at Level 1.
>
> I should add that "ease/frequency of use" is for me the prime criterion
> for putting a language feature in Level 1, and not whether the feature
> is difficult to implement in a DL reasoner (not saying this is the
> case).

I would just like to emphasise that reasoner implementability (DL or
otherwise) was not a consideration in the Level 1 suggestion. Rather,
it was the lowering of the crossbar for implementors/vendors of all
kinds (e.g., of editors etc.) who would like to claim some sort of OWL
compliance.

The view of those involved in the current Level 1 proposal was that
most tools would have to implement significantly more than OWL level 1
compliance in order to satisfy their target market. It is, however,
very difficult to determine a total ordering of OWL features that
makes sense in all applications. The proposed solution is to make OWL
level 1 compliance very easy, and leave it to the market to determine
which other features are implemented by tools aimed at different
applications and/or user groups.

Regards, Ian