Solipsism is first-order

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 03:30:44 -0400
To: "Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: www-webont-wg@w3.org
Jeremy, I now see what you mean by 'solipsistic'. There is a better
term for it, though, already in widespread use: "first-order", as in
'first-order logic'. That is the basic MT assumption of FOL; that the
only things that are required to exist in a model are those that are
needed to be the denotations of expressions that can actually be
formed from the syntax. And I agree, this is a very good working
assumption, and one that we should try to stick to, since any
deviation from it tends to result in computational nightmares.

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax