RE: SEM: semantics for current proposal (why R disjoint V?)

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 03:33:52 -0400
To: Ian Horrocks <horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk>
Cc: www-webont-wg@w3.org
>On March 22, Jeremy Carroll writes:
>>  >
>>  > [1]
>>  http://www-lti.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~clu/papers/archive/lutzdiss.pdf
>>

>>  Ian,
>>
>>  I don't think I have time to read 225 pages ... :(
>>
>>  Is there a shorter version of the central argument?
>
>The key point is that without separation of properties, when you
>negate restriction classes, e.g., (hasClass age >=21) you get (toClass
>age (union <21 Thing)), which breaks the separation of the datatype
>and abstract domains which is itself required in order to allow
>datatype reasoning to be separated from class based reasoning.

Wait. That seems circular. Isn't this supposed to be an argument for
why we need to separate datatype reasoning from class-based reasoning
in the first place? Suppose we just say that, OK, they are not
separated. Then the above argument says that if we have negation then
they are not separated. But we already knew that, right?

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes