Re: SEM: Face-to-Face version of approaches document

I agree with Jeff Heflin and Pat Hayes in attempting to not end up with so
many layers that users feel overwhelmed both with too much reading with too
much cognitive overload.
However, I do not think a layered approach is bad, and in fact, I believe it
is a necessary component to our solution.

I think it is not enough to just use layers as a way of presenting material,
I would support the notion that we need to have definitions of layers so that
people can make claims about having an implementation that is compliant to
level x.

I believe mandatory requirements are:
1 - a layer that is simple enough for the masses.  (that in my opinion means
dropping some things from the lightest of the current owl lite proposal).
2 - a layer that is expressive enough to handle approximately full DAML+OIL

I believe a reasonable solution includes another layer
3 - a frame-syntax-expressible layer that includes all of 1 above  plus some
of the more complicated constructs useful for epistemological adequacy.

deborah

--
 Deborah L. McGuinness
 Knowledge Systems Laboratory