Re: What shall we call the web ontology language??

From: tim finin <finin@cs.umbc.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 10:13:58 -0500
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org
How about calling the language OM, standing for Ontology Markup.

OM is, of course, the sacred sound from Hinduism, and represents the
first sound that Brahman made in creating the universe. There are lots
of relevant concepts associated with OM.  See
http://hinduism.about.com/library/weekly/aa022200.htm, for example,
which says,

  Om provides a dualistic viewpoint. On one hand, it projects the mind
  beyond the immediate to what is abstract and inexpressible. On the
  other hand, it makes the absolute more tangible and comprehensive. It
  encompasses all potentialities and possibilities; it is everything
  that was, is, or can yet be. It is omnipotent and likewise remains
  undefined.

If we took this idea seriously, we should not explicitly play up the
religious/mythical connection and also check with Hindus to make sure
it would not be offensive.

Tim