Subject: Re: UML for Ontologies and W3C Web Ontology Working Group
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 12:00:17 -0500 (EST)
From: Evan Wallace <ewallace@cme.nist.gov>
To: ontology@omg.org

>>I do not know the current status of the relationship between W3C and OMG.
>>I think that companies that are active in both W3C and OMG should
>>be raising issues about semantic interoperability problems.
>>We have been trying to identify and explain the issues to both
>>communities.
>>But it seems that both the OMG and W3C are too focused on
>>the details of their own interoperability visions.
>
>Agreed.  But, the UML 2.0 effort needs *people* to actually participate
>in contributing to the UML--to ensure that it supports the W3C Web Ontology

IMHO you need both to achieve any major changes in UML.  There are so
many
different hopes hanging on UML 2.0 that any particular goal will need to
have a compelling argument for its influence on the final product.  At
the
same time you must have participants on the submission team that can
actually do the work to make this happen.  I haven't really seen either
of these conditions, appear yet.

Maybe if Paul's paper took a position on how and why to bring the
Semantic
Web and UML together then we might be able to get momentum behind this
issue.

>Working Group vision.  Who can participate?  How about you, Paul?

Looking at the membership list for the W3C Web Ontology group, I don't
see much of an overlap with OMG active participants (people).  If
someone can articulate a compelling argument for an interface between
UML and a Web Ontology then we could push organizations involved in
both activities (Iona, Nokia, Unisys, MITRE, EDS, HP, etc.) to worry
about this.

Evan K. Wallace
NIST
ewallace@nist.gov

Dr. Leo Obrst		The MITRE Corporation
mailto:lobrst@mitre.org Intelligent Information Management/Exploitation
Voice: 703-883-6770	7515 Colshire Drive, M/S W640
Fax: 703-883-1379       McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA