Introduction: Warner ten Kate

From: <warner.ten.kate@philips.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 16:46:17 +0100
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org
My background in knowledge-based systems is rather sparse.
It is the Semantic Web proposals that drew my interest,
and caused me to become fascinated by this field(s).
Obviously, I will behave accordingly in my contributions to WebOnt.

In the WebOnt WG I take the position of alternate.

My background is in multimedia, as an enhancement to
TV-type of systems. In that context I have been involved in
the SYMM WG, that delivered the SMIL specifications.
It is in the area of personalized, adaptive media
where we aim to apply the semantic web.

In earlier times I have been working in solid-state physics,
where I obtained my PhD, and in acoustics, mostly devoted
to audio coding of surround sound.

I am looking forward meeting with you, having fruitful discussions,
and getting inspired on/by what we produce,

Warner ten Kate

OK, I tried the excercise.
I am not sure my answer is complete.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<rdf:RDF xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/pim/contact#"
         xmlns:swrc="http://www.semanticweb.org/ontologies/swrc-onto-2000-09-10.daml#"
         xmlns:apt="http://www.w3.org/2001/06/airports.rdf#"
         xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
<!-- could not find http://www.megginson.com/exp/ns/airports -->

   <rdf:Description>
      <swrc:person rdf:parseType="Resource">
         <familyName>ten Kate</familyName>
         <givenName>Warner</givenName>
         <fullName>Warner ten Kate</fullName>
         <mailbox rdf:resource="mailto:warner.ten.kate@philips.com"/>
         <nearestAirport rdf:parseType="Resource">
            <apt:iata>AMS</apt:iata>
         </nearestAirport>
      </swrc:person>
   </rdf:Description>
</rdf:RDF>

If I understand things correctly, the semantic web should be able
to find (at http://www.w3.org/2001/06/airports.rdf) what latitude
and longitude are of my "nearestAirport":

   <apt:Airport rdf:about="http://www.megginson.com/exp/id/airports/EHAM">
      <apt:icao>EHAM</apt:icao>
      <apt:name>Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, Netherlands</apt:name>
      <apt:iata>AMS</apt:iata>
      <apt:latitude>52-18N</apt:latitude>
      <apt:longitude>004-46E</apt:longitude>
      <apt:elevation>-2M</apt:elevation>
   </apt:Airport>

I am not sure about the double use of the URI "http://www.w3.org/2001/06/airports.rdf"
to declare the apt: namespace and to identify the rdf data.

===