Re: Introduction: Stefan Decker (LEAD prize winner)

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 23:31:10 -0600
To: Stefan Decker <stefan@db.stanford.edu>
CC: www-webont-wg@w3.org
Stefan Decker wrote:
[...]
> If I understood Dan correctly, he wanted at least
> some of the following triples.

Yeah! Stefan wins the prize for being the first to
express, formally in RDF/XML:

        The nearest airport to the person
        whose email address is stefan@db.stanford.edu
        has IATA code SFO.

(though he loses a style point or two for using a urn ;-)

Lots of other folks have provided the information
in such a way that I, a human with lots of heuristic
and contextual tools, can process it*. But Stefan
put his info straight into the Semantic Web,
requiring no further manual processing.

I invite folks to play around with the RDF validator
  http://www.w3.org/RDF/Validator/
to get a feel for how RDF (and XML) works.

As Jim suggested, you might find writing in RDF/n3
  http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/Primer
and converting it
  http://swag.semanticweb.org/n3tordf
is easier than writing RDF/xml by hand.

Those and other resources are available in the "background references"
section of our home page.
  http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/

*map in progress:
  http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/webont-world.png