introduction

From: Leo Obrst <lobrst@mitre.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 22:06:58 -0500
To: web-ontology-wg <www-webont-wg@w3.org>
Hi, everyone,

I am an AI scientist at the MITRE AI Center in Northern Virginia
(www.mitre.org) and the technical coordinator for knowledge
representation and engineering, involved in projects on context-based
semantic interoperability, ontology modeling of complex decision-making,
conceptual information retrieval, semantic markup, and semantic
mapping/brokering.  I was recently Director of Ontological Engineering
at VerticalNet.com, a department I formed to create ontologies in the
product and service space to support Business-to-Business e-commerce.

My PhD is in theoretical linguistics with a concentration in formal
semantics from the University of Texas-Austin. I have worked nearly 20
years in computational linguistics, knowledge representation, and in the
last seven years in ontological engineering.

I participate as a member of the IEEE Standard Upper Ontology working
group and am currently the assistant technical editor for one proposed
standard upper ontology candidate, the Information Flow Framework
(http://suo.ieee.org/). In addition I participate in the OntoWeb network
(http://www.ontoweb.org/index.htm).

My general research interests include formal models, the semantics and
pragmatics of natural language, ontology representation and reasoning,
and category theory. I am currently most interested in the formalization
of context for ontology mapping and integration, and semantic mapping
methods.

Airport/location and other info:

<apt:Airport rdf:about="http://www.megginson.com/exp/id/airports/KIAD">
  <apt:icao>KIAD</apt:icao>
  <apt:name>Washington Dc, Washington Dulles International Airport, VA,
United States </apt:name>
  <apt:latitude>38-56-05N</apt:latitude>
  <apt:longitude>077-26-51W</apt:longitude>
  <apt:elevation>93M</apt:elevation>
</apt:Airport>

<org:member rdf:parseType="Resource">
            <familyName>Obrst</familyName>
            <givenName>Leo</givenName>
            <fullName>Leo Obrst</fullName>
            <mailbox rdf:resource="mailto:lobrst@mitre.org"/>
</org:member>

Regards,
Leo
Dr. Leo Obrst		The MITRE Corporation
mailto:lobrst@mitre.org Intelligent Information Management/Exploitation
Voice: 703-883-6770	7515 Colshire Drive, M/S W640
Fax: 703-883-1379       McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA