One More Use Case

From: Ora Lassila <daml@lassila.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 11:49:28 -0500
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org
Here is one more use case. Sorry for the late delivery.

	- Ora

Use Case: "Serendipitous Interoperability"

Here is what I am hoping to achieve with WebOnt, eventually: I am
interested in describing characteristics and functionality of various
devices (such as cell phones, printers, sensors, etc.). I'd like to
be able to draw from both CC/PP (in describing device and software
capabilities) and DAML-S (in describing semantics of Web Services for
the purpose of discovery, composition, etc.). The ultimate goal would
be what I call "serendipitous interoperability" where two (typically
many more) devices will find that they can meaningfully interoperate
even though they were not explicitly designed to do so (e.g., built
for different purposes, by different manufacturers, at a different
time, etc.).

All this without a human "in the loop", that is, I'd like to see
devices configure themselves to engage in a meaningful dialogue with

I see a powerful language for representing the semantics of device
functionality as a critical component of this dream. In addition to a
language, we need proper vocabularies and ontologies to make all this

Ora Lassila  mailto:daml@lassila.org  http://www.lassila.org/
Research Fellow, Nokia Research Center