Charset mismatch

From: Mark Phillips <mphill14@harris.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 08:27:46 -0700
To: dasl list webdav <www-webdav-dasl@w3.org>
Set up:
 - Apache2 running on Windows XP, with mod_dav installed
 - Custom dav client

The client polls the server with HEAD for each element of this URL:
    //dav_dir/business_unit/eastern/clients/Étude Studios

The encoding sends ³Étude² as ³%C9tude². This is valid in Latin 1 through 9

Apache responds with a 403. I expected 20x or 404.

Using a Windows dav client, which succeeds, the wireshark reports the
encoding as ³%C3%89². I believe this is UTF-8.

In second test, we added Tomcat to the mix and the custom dav client worked
just fine.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

What are good approaches to resolving this mismatch?

 - Mark