Re: somewhat off topic: managing Win32 limits in WebDAV

On 12/11/08 1:18 AM, "Bjoern Hoehrmann" <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:

> * Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Mark Phillips wrote:
>>> I am dealing with a server side limitation. Our set up is Apache 2.2 on
>>> Windows XP Pro for the moment.
>>>
>>> In our tests, Apache reports a 403 error but that appears to be misleading.
>>> Further testing reveals a "magic" limit where URI's between 249 and 260
>>> characters in length fail on the MKCOL command.
>>
>> I guess it depends on what APR (Apache Portable Runtime) supports on
>> Windows. It's quite possible that it doesn't take advantage of the more
>> modern Windows APIs that do not suffer from these length restrictions.
>
> If APR is compiled with APR_HAS_UNICODE_FS it supports APR_PATH_MAX long
> paths on Windows, the latter being set to 8192 by default. Note that the
> individual components have file system specific limits, as I recall, and
> as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS seems to confirm, it's 255 for NTFS
> so you cannot have file names or directory names longer than that.

As a follow up, the issue appears to be addressed in Apache 2.2.6, in which
a modification to the apr library enforces the use of the unicode path
scheme. Refer to <http://marc.info/?l=apr-dev&m=120084184128491&w=2> for
more information.

Thank you for your comments; they definitely helped us get closer to a
resolution.

 - Mark