Re: somewhat off topic: managing Win32 limits in WebDAV

* Julian Reschke wrote:
>Mark Phillips wrote:
>> I need to join the other list.
>>
>> I am dealing with a server side limitation. Our set up is Apache 2.2 on
>> Windows XP Pro for the moment. We wrote our own client and the URL limit is
>> 10,000,000. Probably excessive but there you go.
>>
>> In our tests, Apache reports a 403 error but that appears to be misleading.
>> Further testing reveals a "magic" limit where URI's between 249 and 260
>> characters in length fail on the MKCOL command.
>>
>> So our supposition is the ever-popular MAX_PATH constraint. Of course, that
>> may not be the issue and we open to new info.
>
>I guess it depends on what APR (Apache Portable Runtime) supports on
>Windows. It's quite possible that it doesn't take advantage of the more
>modern Windows APIs that do not suffer from these length restrictions.

If APR is compiled with APR_HAS_UNICODE_FS it supports APR_PATH_MAX long
paths on Windows, the latter being set to 8192 by default. Note that the
individual components have file system specific limits, as I recall, and
as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS seems to confirm, it's 255 for NTFS
so you cannot have file names or directory names longer than that. Other
systems http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems#Limits
tend to have similar limits, so I am not sure that is the problem here.
The httpd also has its own limits for e.g. request header line length.