Re: casting literal values

Julian Reschke wrote:

> The one I implemented tries to cast, but if it's not possible compares
> string representation. I think that's consistent with the grammar; the
> client did not ask for a typed comparison, after all.
>
> The "MAY do typed comparison" case mainly is for those servers that know
> about property types, but do not support DAV:typed-literal.
>
> So it seems we should change
>
> "when operand for a comparison with a property for which the type is
> known, it MAY be treated according to this type."

> "when operand for a comparison with a property for which the type is known
> and when compatible with that type, it MAY be treated according to this
> type."

+1, I think it is clear and concise.

Even though rejection was never allowed for DAV:literal, the former text did
not state an explicit behaviour for type incompatibilities. Now, by
disallowing casting when the DAV:literal values are not compatible with the
property type, the possibility of casting errors disappears.

It follows that the server MUST accept it and do its best (for instance, it
may treat the property as xs:string for that expression, or it may do so for
each occurence of the property within the search condition).

Best Regards,

Javier