Re: SEARCH draft 06 submitted

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 18:37:18 +0100
To: FengAndy@aol.com
Cc: www-webdav-dasl@w3.org

FengAndy@aol.com wrote:

> Julian:
>
> I wonder why WebDAV Search is NOT based on XPath/XQuery.
>
> Conceptaully, a WebDAV storage contains metadata (property+folder) and
> data blobs. WebDAV metadata could be easily modeled as XML. Therefore,
> XQuery/XPath could be applied for search.
>
> Any comments?

Yes.

The DAV:basicsearch grammar is *meant* to be simple, and it should map
as directly as possible to a simple database table.

Of course XPath would be a very interesting *additional* query grammar
for SEARCH, and I'm aware of at least two experimental implementations.
But I think it's too early to standardize on that -- let's get the
simpler things done first.

A DAV:xpath grammar would belong into a separate spec. Anybody volunteering?

Julian