Re: xpath/xquery (was SEARCH draft 06 submitted)

Julian Reschke (julian.reschke@gmx.de) wrote:

> FengAndy@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Julian:
> >
> > I wonder why WebDAV Search is NOT based on XPath/XQuery.
> >
> > Conceptaully, a WebDAV storage contains metadata (property+folder) and
> > data blobs. WebDAV metadata could be easily modeled as XML. Therefore,
> > XQuery/XPath could be applied for search.
> >
> > Any comments?
>
> Yes.
>
> The DAV:basicsearch grammar is *meant* to be simple, and it should map
> as directly as possible to a simple database table.
>
> Of course XPath would be a very interesting *additional* query grammar
> for SEARCH, and I'm aware of at least two experimental implementations.
> But I think it's too early to standardize on that -- let's get the
> simpler things done first.

This is interesting.

While including xpath in the SEARCH request seems straight
forward, how would one map the results of the xpath to a
PROPFIND response?

Also, are any of those experimental implementations publicly
available?  Pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric