Re: SEARCH by last path segment, Was: SEARCH for displayname

Lisa Dusseault wrote:

> If we make pathsegments be unencoded, then we have another advantage
> to using that special syntax: it *can* do caseless matching. We
> could name it "decoded-path-segment" if that would make it less
> confusing to have different encoding requirements than the URL.
> Cool!

Yes. However this will force us to formally write down *how* the
decoding is supposed to work. In practice, I've seen interoperability
only for those clients that use UTF-8-encoded and percent-escaped
segments, such as MS IIS, Microsoft Webfolder client, SAP, Xythos client
or Adobe GoLive.

If all implementers of SEARCH can live with this restriction (it will
create a special class of URIs that do not map to a legal decoded
segment), I'm all for it.

Julian