RE: draft-reschke-webdav-search-05 - a few questions on the draft

Actually I guess searching from the root might not be an option if I have to
exclude certain collections from the search... in which case it seems like
the client has to do a whole host of things if it is to present the search
results in a consolidate manner to the end-users.

prakash

>From: "yamuna prakash" <yamunap@hotmail.com>
>To: www-webdav-dasl@w3.org
>Subject: RE: draft-reschke-webdav-search-05 - a few questions on the draft
>Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 07:11:55 +0000
>

>Currently we have a use case where in we need to search under different
>collections and then build a consolidated search result and present it to
>the user. We would like to avoid searching from the root with the
>possibility of having to specify infinite depth, to ensure the search does
>not take too much time. As Elias mentioned in his email, this can be
>achieved by issuing multiple requests, but as Julian mentioned this of
>course opens us up to the issue of what having to manage top (max-results),
>sorting, etc i.e. in effect the client having to build a layer on top of
>DASL.
>

>I am quite new to DASL and WebDAV and in fact I am still finding my way so
>to speak.
>
>Given the above fact, my next question might sound incredibly stupid...
>but...
>
>if each collection has different properties ( I am not sure if this is
>possible) and if each collection acts as a node in a tree, I am curious as
>to how searching within multiple scopes would be different from searching
>in a tree with arbitrary depth?
>
>Is it the case that all collection nodes are consistent (i.e. have the same
>properties) and thus searching within multiple scopes is a different beast?
>

>thanks,
>prakash
>

>>From: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
>>To: "Wallmer, Martin" <Martin.Wallmer@softwareag.com>,"'yamuna prakash'"
>><yamunap@hotmail.com>, <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
>>CC: <www-webdav-dasl@w3.org>
>>Subject: RE: draft-reschke-webdav-search-05 - a few questions on the draft
>>Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 08:28:46 +0200
>>

>>Correct.
>>
>>Keep in mind that allowing multiple issues may be more complex than you
>>think. For instance, it's trivial to just repeat the same query for the
>>different scopes, but how does this affect sorting/ranking/max-results?
>>
>>Julian
>>
>>--
>><green/>bytes GmbH -- http://www.greenbytes.de -- tel:+492512807760

>Get Married!  http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/cgi-bin/bmclicks1.cgi?74