SEARCH for displayname

From: Wallmer, Martin <Martin.Wallmer@softwareag.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 12:52:47 +0200
To: "'www-webdav-dasl@w3.org'" <www-webdav-dasl@w3.org>
Cc: "Pill, Juergen" <Juergen.Pill@softwareag.com>, "Nevermann, Dr., Peter" <Peter.Nevermann@softwareag.com>, "Hartmeier, Michael" <Michael.Hartmeier@softwareag.com>
Hello,

A common usecase for DASL is to search documents with specific names, for
example all documents with the ending "doc", or following a certain naming
pattern (for example chapter*.pdf).

Thinking straightforward you would say something like:
<where>
  <like>
    <prop>
      <displayname/>
    </prop>
    <literal>
      chapter%.pdf
    </literal>
  </like>
</where>

However, the WebDAV spec says for property "displayname":
-------------------
Purpose:
Provides a name for the resource that is suitable for presentation to a
user.
The displayname property SHOULD be defined on all DAV compliant resources.
If present, the property contains a description of the resource that is
suitable for presentation to a user.
-------------------

Regarding BIND, the server has no chance to maintain a useful <displayname>
information, as several paths may point to the same resource, for example
/myplayground/test.pdf and /handbook/chapter1.pdf could both point to the
same resource. Regarding our usecase, the URL /handbook/chapter1.pdf should
be returned, or to speak more abstract, return the URL, where the last path
segment matches the searchpattern.

Currently it is not possible to pose this kind of query with DASL. I see 3
options to express this:

1. a new language element in <where>
<where>
  <lastpathsegment>
    <literal>
      chapter%.pdf
    </literal>
  </lastpathsegment>
</where>

2. a new live property, for example
<where>
  <like>
    <prop>
      <lastpathsegment/>
    </prop>
    <literal>
      chapter%.pdf
    </literal>
  </like>
</where>

3. introduce a new element in <scope>
    <d:from xmlns:d="DAV:">
      <d:scope>
        <d:href>/handbook/</d:href>
        <d:depth>infinity</d:depth>
        <d:include>chapter%.doc</d:include>
      </d:scope>
    </d:from>

1. would affect only DASL. Not clear, if it should match exactly or match
the pattern.
2. would possibly affect the WebDAV spec as well, PROPFIND should return
this property as well.
3. would affect only DASL. As the last path segment deals with the URI, the
scope is not a too bad place.

Any other options?

Best regads,
Martin