Re: Relationship between scopes and version histories

Julian Reschke wrote:

>>From: www-webdav-dasl-request@w3.org On Behalf Of E. Sinderson
>>
>>I would like to put forth the following:
>>
>>If a server that doesn't support Delta-V recieves a client query that
>>specifies <d:include-versions/> it SHOULD honor the request as if
>><d:include-versions/> wasn't specified.
>>

>That was at least the intent. In particular, even *if* a server supports
>versioning, there may be resources in scope that are not version-controlled.
>A server that doesn't support DeltaV would just behave the same way as a
>DeltaV-aware server where all resources in scope happen not to be
>version-controlled.

Agreed, thanks for clarifying.  :-)

>>The logic is that if a server has a version (the only version) of  a
>>

>resource
>

>>in the query scope then it can easily include all the versions it knows
>>about. This approach will lessen the number of round trips needed to get a
>>successful response. The implementation is simple and shouldn't break
>>existing servers.
>>

>Could you rephrase that? I'm not sure I understand....

The situation I was trying to convey is essentially the situation you
described above, where a Delta-V enabled server has unversioned
resources in the scope of the query. It follows that if a given server
doesn't support versioning at all then it should behave the same way
when processing a query with <include-versions/> specified. I was simply
identifying the commonality between the two cases...

Cheers,
Elias